During the next few months the Riddells Creek Fire Brigade will be placing added emphasis on the risk of house fires.
3,800 house fires occurred across Victoria last year and the most common causes included:
Accidents or distractions from cooking in the kitchen;
Fireplace and heater related accidents;
“As we progress deeper into the winter months, many families will have no option than to dry their clothes indoors” said brigade Community Safety Manager Dean Anderson. “Particular attention should be given to ensuring that clothes drying racks are placed no closer than 1m from heaters or fire places”. Additionally, people should always clean the lint filter in their dryer every time they use it.